Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 08:45:04 +0300

> Cc: ghe@sdf.org, casouri@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 00:40:55 +0300
>
> On 19.09.2020 20:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24293
> >> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39379
> > Those are fixed, AFAICT.
>
> You might want to read the comments to remember the discussions.
>
> The bugs are fixed in an ad-hoc way, with the general problem left intact.

You may wish re-reading the discussions, which I hope will clarify
that the fix was where it should be, and that the general problem is
an illusion, probably due to a desire to have application-level
problems go away by some magic.

> The present issue is exactly the one I described in comment
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39379#61. You called it a
> "future bug".

There's a new bug#43519 which discusses this situation (if you think
it is exactly the one you described there -- I think you are wrong),
so if you are interested in what I think about it, please read that
discussion and comment there.