Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 11:09:20 -0400

   >    I, for one, would be happy to have a one-click option to set a bunch
   >    of reasonable defaults whenever I start Emacs on a new device.
   >
   > And using the splash screen, that exact possibility is also there.  So
   > nothing is lost.

   Yes, something is lost.  No matter how you go about doing it, it is
   clear that it will be significantly less visible.  That's the entire
   reason why you are arguing for it, if I understand correctly.

What is lost exactly?  You have the _exact_ same information, plus
some (that of a on-click setup).  Having a special new-user dialog
would be a loss in information since it would hide the splash screen
which provides valuable information for new and old users alike.

If users don't read the normal splash screen, there is no reason to
expect them to look at another "setup screen".

   I claim that opening Emacs on new accounts with no .emacs will be
   infrequent for most users.

Just today I accessed four different machines where I had never logged
in (mainly for development stuff, where the machines run different
operating systems, often new VMs setup for whatever).  Sometimes it is
accessing the machine as root, sometimes it is as my self.