Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 10:30:13 +0000

Look at the attached patch as it is partially simplified in my local branch.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

It seems to me that it does not work as well as my code, alas. A few points:

- with C-x C-f the default completion, between angle brackets in the original icomplete code, is not shown anymore, unless there is a single candidate (for example in a directory with "foo", "bar1", "bar2", "f" will give "f[oo]" but "b" will give "b[]"); in other words, the "[]" after the point usually serves no purpose

- likewise, with M-x there is a "()" after the point that usually serves no purpose

- if I type "M-x icomplete-m", I see the following:

M-x icomplete-m(ode)

where "|" represents the cursor (on the next line!)

- when the current line after the prompt is too long the prompt disappears

- when completing a unique completion with TAB the point is moved to the next line

Gregory