Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 13:58:18 +0200

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 11:08:48AM +0800, jixiuf wrote:

Thanks, it is fixed .

But  the bug of  "disappearing prompt and entered text problem" came back
again, when I  (setq max-mini-window-height 10)

Indeed this is nasty because the issue is not exactly in icomplete. I
will explain a bit:

max-mini-window-height sets the height of mini-windows BUT when it is
set as an int it sets the minibuffer height using the number of lines
but using the main frame's font height.

In your case the problem is that the face in minibuffer is different
than in the rest of the frame and your font is bigger. So for the moment
there is only a solutions fromicomp lete I can do without forcing a
resize (something I am trying to avoid):

Use your font to increment the height and stop when fixed (which will
not respect the 10 lines as you want because your font is bigger)

Alternatively I can try to fix the resize mechanism properly by fixing
where the minibuffer resize happens and how it gets the font... but this
will require more time (I think it is the right thing to do.)

```

(setq icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input t)
(icomplete-mode 1)
(setq icomplete-format 'vertical)

(defface vmacs-minibuffer-font
`((t :inherit default :height 1.3))
"The default font for minibuffer buffer.
Monospaced font whihc is fixed idth and height is recommended."
:group 'minibuffer)

(defun vmacs-minibuffer-hook()
(set (make-local-variable 'buffer-face-mode-face) 'vmacs-minibuffer-font)
(buffer-face-mode t))

(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook #'vmacs-minibuffer-hook)

(setq max-mini-window-height 10)   ;; add  this line
```