Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Nicola Manca
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:32:41 +0200

On 17/09/20 11:07, Gregory Heytings wrote:

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your proposal!

What about having a startup screen, opening only if no .emacs or other user configuration file is found just saying (the text is just an example):

Welcome!
This is the first time you run Emacs, please choose how to proceed:

[] Go Vanilla!
 (standard defaults, no customizations)

[] Start Configuration Wizard
 (set-up your .emacs configuration file interactively)

[] Try Emacs in enhanced-mode
 (run with a predefined configuration showing emacs potential)

That's a very good suggestion, thank you!  I think it would be better to invert options 2 et 3, with something like:

I've no strong opinion about that :)

[] Go Vanilla!
[] Choose a predefined configuration
[] Create your own configuration

Option 2 would present the user with a list of predefined configuration sets: "doom", "quake", "vscode", ...

This is nice, but I think it is better to focus on something that is rapidly achievable and then maybe improve it. Andrea's suggestion is based entirely on CORE features, while I fear that mimic VScode or Doom may require MELPA.

Option 3 would give the user a way to create a more refined configuration.

This solution would prevent the problem of passing --modern to the emacs exacutable and, beyond that, it could also correspond to emacs -Q, since choosing "Vanilla" would result in a normal clean startup.

IMO this screen should be skipped when the option -Q or -q is passed to Emacs.

I don't know. I think this is a way to somehow "reset" emacs or let someone else to try it on your own computer without having to face a personalized configuration. In such a away when he/she will install emacs will have the same user experience.

Maybe emacs -Q coud be just as now and "emacs" could start the splash screen if no configuration is found.

Nicola