Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 10:48:11 +0300

>   > > "Poor"? the below just says that other applications (which ones?) do
>   > > it slightly differently, that's all.  I don't see how what you say
>   > > justifies the "poor" part.
>
>   > Yes, this is subjective,
>
> The worst problem is, it is not concrete enough to be constructive.
> If someone says your program is "poor", what could you usefully do?
>
> Please be more specific when you criticize.

Constructively, I propose to include in Emacs a new mode
(with a name like 'modern-mouse-mode') where

- down-mouse-3 and mouse-3 pop up the context menu
  containing at least the items "Cut", "Copy", "Paste", "Undo", "Redo"
  (and only "Copy" when the buffer is in read-only mode);
- holding down the Shift key while using mouse-1 adjusts
  the already active region;
- dragging the active region moves it to the place
  where the mouse-1 was released;
- dragging the active region copies it to another place
  while holding down the Control key;
- holding down the Shift key while scrolling with mouse wheel
  scrolls the buffer horizontally;

>   >  but while I use the mouse in other apps,
>   > every time I try to use the mouse in Emacs, I can't make any sense of
>   > default mouse bindings mess,
>
> Which bindings do you find confusing?

This is just incompatibility between the currently active old mode
that follows what X applications do, and more modern mouse bindings
used nowadays in other applications.  So two separate modes are needed.