RE: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 01:25:35 +0000 (UTC)

You're all over the map, Ergus, arguing abstractly, not
to the point - bringing in undo-redo; newbie-vs-better
behavior; hiding the context menu behind C-mouse-3,
which also doesn't work in a terminal (mouse3.el uses
mouse-3); "moving the mouse to the toolbar to copy after
the selection" (huh? what's that about?); "M-w and C-y
dont share any key like C-c/C-v"; "we need the two hand
to undo instead of C-z" (two hands to undo?);...

Again:

>> The impetus for this discussion was expectations
>> of new users to get a context menu on `mouse-3'.
>> (But newbies are not the only reason for such a
>> feature.)

A context menu is useful for discoverability, including
by seasoned Emacs users (we are all discovering some
parts of Emacs).  It should be easily configurable by
program and by users, adaptable for any mode or other
context.  `mouse-3' is a good place for it, and not
only because that's where newbies expect it.

Emacs mouse selection, including extension & deletion,
are also useful.  Both this and a `mouse-3' menu are
possible, with no sacrifice.