A modern-mode?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: A modern-mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:41:07 +0000

Hi all,

following recent discussions I've started toying with what I've pushed on
scratch/modern-mode.

The (not so new) idea is to have a global minor mode to enable other
code we already have in Emacs core to make Emacs a little more
friendly/modern to new comers.  IOW this is to enable some non
excessively invasive features to help people getting into the Emacs
universe.

ATM this modern-mode enables: column-number-mode, delete-selection-mode,
fido-mode, global-auto-revert-mode, show-paren-mode, winner-mode and
windmove, plus is binding ibuffer to C-x C-b.

Hopefully in the future we could enable something like fido vertical and
which-key.

I had a look but for now I gave-up on the idea of picking up a dark mode
to enable as is not so easy.

I've also made that this mode can be enabled at invocation time using
'-m' '-modern' or '--modern' as I think it may be more accessible for new
starters.

I think would be good to have something like this in core and not in
ELPA to ease people getting started without having to install anything.

Feedback is welcome

Thanks

  Andrea