Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 09:40:27 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 11:42:21PM +0000, E wrote:
On 9/14/20 7:20 AM, Thibaut Verron wrote:
Le�lun. 14 sept. 2020 �00:11, Gregory Heytings via Emacs development
discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org <mailto:emacs-devel@gnu.org>> a �crit�:

    Apart from the vertical presentation (which icomplete will apparently soon
    have), does ivy have a feature that icomplete does not have?� I can't find
    one myself, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Does icomplete support different actions on the completion?

For example, if I want to insert a file name with completion, I can do C-x C-f
(counsel-find-file), use ivy-completion to get the name, then M-o pops a list
of actions and tells me to press i to insert the file I selected. For such an
action which I do quite rarely, I find it easier than remember how to invoke
insert-file-name (including the name of the actual function).

One option is Embark <https://github.com/oantolin/embark>, by the author of
Icomplete Vertical. It can be used to add alternative actions to completion
frameworks like Icomplete and Selectrum.

This looks nice but only this is longer than all icomplete itself.