Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 08:35:02 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 01:14:42PM +0800, TEC wrote:

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
The hard question is what we WANT to do.  Does someone want to
study the details and make a concrete proposal?

I'm seeing a trend here along the lines of:
- general idea sounds good
- a fully-formed proposal (with specifics) is needed

Does that sound about right for this discussion?

Timothy.

Somehow I just mentioned the color as part of the changes in the first
email in this thread and very intense answers came out. So I just passed
the topic.

Someone proposed some days ago to have some sort of profiles... which
for me is good enough and we already have the theme loader. What, I
think we need now is just a better set of included themes as the
embedded ones look outdated (specially in terminal). But there are
plenty of themes around, we just need to make a selection.

IMO the other very important detail are the fonts, we usually use the
ones in the system which are very good in systems like ubuntu but not so
good in others like Debian.

Maybe we should establish our own criteria here over the system if the
system does not provide any default information and there is not config
file yet. But this is something that I think will be solved if we
finally implement the "welcome screen".

I don't know if we should provide our own set of "extra pretty fonts" to
use them in Emacs where they aren't installed.