Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 10:54:01 -0700

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry if this is hijacking your thread, but shouldn't it better be 80
>> characters?
>
> I think somebody decided at some point that 70 was the proper text with
> for prose, and that's independent of what the screen looks like, or how
> wide it is...

That means indented comment paragraphs are narrower then unindented
ones; that gets very awkward at large indents.

In ada-mode, the width of a comment paragraph is independent of the
indent; I think that looks much better. The implementation sets
fill-column for each paragraph depending on indent, just before it is
filled.

--
-- Stephe