Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 13:47:18 +0300

On 13.09.2020 07:07, Richard Stallman wrote:

I wonder if it is possible to modify undo-redo
to work in a meaningful way with the ordinary undo command.
More precisely, if you invoke 'undo-redo' that would cause
'undo' to start acting like 'undo-only' for the time being.

'undo' would go back to normal undo the next time you start a new
chain of undos.

In effect, this way we would have both kinds of undo _behavior_
with just one undo _command_.  That might eliminate the confusion.

I am wary of this kind of hidden state, which makes a command behave in two distinctly different ways. It is likely to increase confusion, rather than eliminate it.

It maybe could have worked if people called 'redo' before 'undo', thus creating a consistent indication of intent.

But the order is exactly the opposite, of course.