Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 13:17:13 +0300

Tone down please.  I don’t know if (and don’t think that--, really) you
mean it but your replies come off as rather agressive.

On 2020-09-13 12:04 +03, Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org> wrote:
>> On a subjective note I think we’re exaggerating the role of Emacs’
>> looks with regards to how it affects newcomers.
> Given the insane length of this thread (about 1000 emails so far), I
> think not.  Of course it's only "a very little, opinionated sample of
> users" as you write, but one user who takes the time to come here and
> to explain and defend their viewpoint is worth thousands other users
> who think the same but do not want to waste their time, and just
> switch to another editor.

There is no reason we believe that is the case, and no reason to
believe, even if that _is_ the case, that voices that _disagree_ with
you represent an identical or superior amount of users.

The length of the thread does not mean anything really.  Except that
we’re bikeshedding a bit, possibly.

>> And it’s solved as easily as M-x load-theme RET modus-vivendi RET
>> post Emacs 28 (or some point-release of 27 maybe?), or today with a
>> simple package install.
> Do you realize that what you write amounts to "In software A, B, C and
> D, to get what you want, click on this button.  In software E, to get
> what you want, it's very easy, just type "Zk1v31!*".  For them it's
> almost like a secret keystroke for an easter egg in a game.  How is a
> new user supposed to know that they should type M-x load-theme (or M-x
> customize-themes)? There is not even a menu entry for this (AFAICS).

I don’t realise such thing.  What I realise is, when I open VS Code, I
don’t see an option to change the theme in the menus.  Instead, I have
to find preferences (or learn that C-, opens it), notice that it’s
searchable, search for ‘theme’ (and also: know that it’s theme, not
colourcheme or similar), and select a theme.  I don’t see how that’s
easier, especially when we have in the menu bar "Options > Customize
Emacs > Custom Themes", and M-x customize-themes RET.  It’s the same
thing, rendered differently.  And in this particular instance Emacs is
better at it already.

You’re also engaging in reductio ad absurdum again which serves no-one.
The said commands are English words, not some random alphanumeric
sequence.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427