Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 14:26:33 +0200

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 06:13:38PM +0700, Yuri Khan wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 05:15, Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:

I want to clarify an important detail here. Right click is expected to
display a *context menu* and the context menu is expected to contain
commands that are related to the object that received the right click.
This does not always correlate with “the most common operations”.

Right-clicking a misspelled word offers a list of possible
corrections. Right-clicking with a highlighted region offers Cut and
Copy. (Actually, Cut/Copy/Paste are always on the context menu for
text editors, and get enabled/disabled depending on availability.) In
a programming mode, right-clicking an identifier could offer
xref-find-definitions and xref-find-references.

Applications made with greater attention to UI design also extend the
context menu functionality to other UI elements. Right-clicking a
toolbar offers to hide or customize it. Right-clicking a tab offers to
save or close the document.

Implementing a context menu in Emacs is not a simple matter of binding
<mouse-3> to any of the menus displayed by <C-mouse-1…3>. Someone™
needs to pick things that are relevant in each context. More likely,
each major mode needs to pick things that are appropriate in its
buffers.

Totally agree (maybe not properly explained in my text).

So far there is some work already done on external packages and the
mode-specific menus have some information about the context.

We only need to set that in a smarter way. It is not that complex so
far, at least for the text part. But this goes beyond my capabilities
and I don't think that the experts are convinced yet (for the moment).