Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 12:25:22 +0300

> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 11:03:33 +0200
> CC:
> casouri@gmail.com,ams@gnu.org,monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,ghe@sdf.org,tecosaur@gmail.com
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>
> >> 4) Right click: (Probably it is the most lacking functionality and
> >> surprising for any user not using the terminal.) Right click is
> >expected
> >> to bring a panel with the most common operations. It is useful, fast
> >> and somehow standard since 1995 while removing most of the needs of
> >the
> >> toolbar which takes precious vertical space.
> >
> >We have this on C-mouse-2 and C-mouse-3. Putting those on mouse-2 and
>
> The menu we have in C-mouse-3 does not show the most basic options like copy,
> paste, and so on to
> access them fast.

Why should it?  We show the menu for the current major mode, which is
IMO more useful than basic editing.

It's a pity too many newbies don't see the menu bar and the tool bar,
because all this was arranged to have all the important features be
readily available through the different UI elements.  With the menu
and the tool bar removed, we don't have enough UI elements to satisfy
all the important needs.  Which is one more reason to encourage
newbies to start with the vanilla Emacs, not with the hyper-loaded
"distros".

> >> 5) sidebar: most code editors have a button somewhere in the
> >interface
> >> to show/hide the sidebar to explore and open files/access symbols or
> >see
> >> open files.
> >
> >We have it in Options->Hide/Show.
>
> Yes but the idea behind is to make it very accessible to toggle it on demand
> more frequently. Maybe we can
> add a bottom for that [>>] in the beginning of the modeline to give a toggle
> effect?

If people agree that Speedbar is so important these days, the mode
line is not a good place for the toggle.  But I'm not sure people
agree.  For example, isn't Speedbar important mostly in PL major
modes? what would you do with it in, say, Text mode?  So maybe make it
appear automatically in such modes?