RE: Changes for emacs 28

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:17:17 -0700 (PDT)

> > > I'm not a maintainer, but FWIW my opinion is that what will most likely
> > > happen is that they will never agree to do this.  Menus are not "modern".
> >
> > What in the world?  This strikes me as incomprehensible.
> > Who thinks "Menus are not modern"?  Why?
> > What do they use instead of menus?
> > (Perhaps they use a different kind of menu
> > but do not think of it as a manu.)
>
> I think that this is the case, most programmes seem to use the
> "Hamburger Menu"[0] instead of a transitional top-menu. I'm not sure
> what the reason for this change was, but I have a hunch one of the
> motivating reasons was the attempt to merge applications and the window
> frames (as GNOME does in the free software world, but Chrome, MS Office,
> etc. do in the non-free world). When no space is left between the
> application and it's frame, the menu must be moved somewhere
> else. Another reason is probably the influence of mobile applications,
> that use these kinds of menus due to lack of space.

1. `C-mouse-3' does that - essentially a hamburger menu.

2. Library `tool-bar+.el' offers something similar for
the tool-bar: `tool-bar-pop-up-mode'.  It adds a pseudo
menu to the menu-bar, which, if clicked, shows the
tool-bar for the use of a single action.  This saves the
tool-bar real estate most of the time.

If the menu-bar isn't displayed then you can just use
`C-mouse-3' to show it, and choose the pseudo menu that
pops up the tool-bar temporarily.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ToolBar#ToolBarPlus