Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 17:01:49 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 09:52:34 -0400
> Cc: self@gkayaalp.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  Others has described the out-of-the-box experience of doom Emacs, it seems
> to me that such
>  job is better done by a “distribution” of Emacs than by vanilla Emacs.
>
>  "Better" in what sense?  What do the people who maintain Spacemacs or
>  DOOM know about Emacs that we don't?
>
> They can do things we can’t. They can bundle MELPA packages, they can set
> various defaults, they can
> promote one package over another, they can bundle a bunch of helper commands
> and configurations.

These are not obstacles we cannot negotiate if needed.  If we decide
some feature is important, we can talk to the respective developers
and ask them to clean them up for Emacs or for GNU ELPA.  Or we can
write our own implementations of those or similar features.

Maybe, even probably, we will never provide the full suite of what
Spacemacs or DOOM do, but even a small number of easily turned on
features could be a significant improvement.

> Not being good at writing tutorial for newbie is one thing, not doing it is
> another thing. If we want Emacs to be
> more newbie-friendly, we should have a friendly introduction built-in.

I didn't want to say I'm against writing guides.  If someone wants to
write such guides, by all means go ahead, and TIA.