Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 17:35:58 +0300

> From: Mario Lang <mlang@blind.guru>
> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 10:25:15 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:
>
> > 3) Substitute list-buffers with ibuffer: This is actually in the TODO
> > but for interactive users ibuffer offers a bit more modern
> > experience. So the proposition is just to set ibuffer to the default
> > bindings as so far it already offers all the list-buffers'
> > functionalities.
>
> +1
>
> > 4) Enable display-line-numbers-mode by default. Almost all editors
> > around have line numbers by default why we hide them?
>
> No, please don't.  Maybe I am already too old, but I don't know what
> these other editors you are talking about would be.  I never saw vim or
> nano do that by default, and I am grateful for that.

See, that's exactly the crux of the difficulty in these matters: ask N
people about changing defaults to M options, and you get the number of
different "please do this and this, but not that" opinions almost as
large as the number of permutations.

So either (1) we go for the lowest common denominator of features that
most people agree to (which can easily be an empty set); or (2) we
come up with groups of optional features which are turned on and off
together.  The latter needs someone who'd figure out such groups,
based on some principles, like experience or the kind of jobs that
people want to do, or something else.  It isn't easy, but unless
someone picks up the gauntlet, we will never move in that direction.