Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 17:20:48 +0300

> From: ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt)
> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 02:18:24 -0400
> Cc: nicola.manca85@gmail.com, spacibba@aol.com, drew.adams@oracle.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>    > Why on earth would we do that?  Emacs undo
>    > is superior.
>
>    undo-tree is superior.
>
> That would make Emacs unusable for the majority of Emacs users.

I believe this is an exaggeration.  Exaggerations aren't useful in
discussion such as this one.

IME, both the Emacs undo and undo-tree are similarly seamless for
simple use cases, which cover 80% of their use.  Once more complex
situation arise, my opinion is that undo-tree is more complex and
harder to grasp than the Emacs undo, so I don't think undo-tree is
better suited to newbies than the default undo.