Re: Changes for emacs 28 - ibuffer the default buffer-listing thing

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28 - ibuffer the default buffer-listing thing
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 09:48:15 +0100

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 2:37 PM Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:

> 3) Substitute list-buffers with ibuffer: This is actually in the TODO
> but for interactive users ibuffer offers a bit more modern
> experience. So the proposition is just to set ibuffer to the default
> bindings as so far it already offers all the list-buffers'
> functionalities.

I support this change.  But we should make sure that the advanced
functionality that Ibuffer offers isn't confusing. When I first saw Ibuffer
some many years ago, I was very confused about "filters" and
"filter groups".  I think the top level menus "Tools", "Operate" and
"Buffers", should all be grouped under some kind of "Buffer management"
or "Buffer list" top level entry.

Also, we should have pre-configured "filter groups", like
group-per-project, which we can probably do with project.el
(maybe this is already a thing, but I still have custom code for it).

Idiot-proof, example-rich documentation in the Emacs manual
is probably also a very good thing to have.

João