Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 01:57:04 -0400

   There will be never an agreement about changing defaults with long
   standing users. (I can't understand the strong feeling about that
   because some/most of the choices we have today were actually determined
   by historic/technological conditions more than user preferences)

You are mixing up several different changes, which makes it difficult
to explain why sometimes.  Please take it one default at a time.

   Could we provide a simple command line option like "emacs -m" (or any
   letter not in use) which automatically loads a set of extra
   "experimental" defaults not suitable for older users??

If that mode is significantly different (e.g, CUA mode) from
"standard" emacs then it will be difficult to point users to the
documentation, or that the documentation will have to have many
caveats.

   (the same as emacs -l modern.el but shorter) Like a different
   theme, line numbers, show-paren mode, and any other "modern"
   feature a newbie expects in a 2020 editor?

Why are the things you suggest not suitable for experienced users, but
suitable for new users?  You do not explain why, and you come up with
more suggestions in each new message.  Before enabling, or disabling a
feature one should have a reason to do so.

I do not think that new users expect any of those things you have
listed (show-paren-mode, display-line-numbers-mode or a different
theme); from my experience when teaching new users they want just get
stuff done.  The first thing they tend to miss in my experience is
getting navigation setup, or auto-completion since many editors come
with that out of the box.