Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 15:32:02 -0400

   Sorry but I can't understand why "old" users, that can write lisp lines
   easily to their configs, can't understand that for new users (and
   younger ones) those lines sometimes takes hours or days (mainly because
   they don't know what/where/how to look for, and lisp is not so
   popular or familiar these days). And that the first impression when they
   open emacs is like going back to 1998.

I think you need to make a stronger case as to why a user would spend,
from day one, several hours or days to configure Emacs to be able to
use it -- such an story would be very interesting to read to learn and
understand what could be improved.  The list you suggested would
barley have any impact on the experience of new users, but would have
a large impact on people who have been using emacs for a long time.

We can turn the argument around as well, as users become more
experienced they will add more of the "experienced" defaults to their
configuration files -- making it a general waste of time trying to
find those good defaults for experienced users, having to possibly
reinvent the wheel over and over again.

What new users will want is more or less from my experience the same
as what experienced users expect to see, to open and edit files, have
navigation or auto-popup-completion -- both which I think would be
nice to see as standard for common modes (not just programming, and
working as well as emacs-lisp-mode and eldoc-mode).  They will
probobly want to have some sort of WYSIWYG feature for writting notes.