Re: Path for system-wide .eln files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Path for system-wide .eln files
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 22:58:55 -0400

>> The benefit is that /$DESTDIR/$libdir/emacs/native-lisp can be a normal
>> member of the "eln files search path", whereas otherwise it would have
>> to be treated specially.
>
> Would that really be a problem?

Beside the unneeded extra complexity, it would also make it either
impossible to change the order between the files in the
one-and-only-system-dir and the-other-dirs, or would require yet more
complexity to provide extra flexibility.

So, yes, I think it would really be a problem.

>> Other than aesthetic concerns, what is at stake?
> Is it completely excluded that additional types of files will be
> installed in /usr/lib/emacs/ in future?

No, but I can't think of any reason why that would be more likely to
collide with `native-files` than with `26.3`.
If you're still worried, we can go back to
$DESTDIR/$libdir/emacs/$VERSION/native-lisp where the $VERSION
is redundant.  I wouldn't be bothered by this redundancy.

        Stefan