About implementing libre.js/el in Emacs

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: About implementing libre.js/el in Emacs
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 19:14:25 +0000

Hi,

As RMS recently pointed out, we should have something like Libre.js
for our _javascript_ Webkit Xwidgets in emacs.
I plan to implement that idea, but I have some design choices and
would like to hear inputs from you guys.

There are two obvious options to achieve this:
1) Implement (part of) the Web Extension API
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API
and let libre.js runs as-is in Emacs.
2) reimplement libre.js as libre.el

Both will require adding primitives to Emacs C source to expose
urlRequest events, etc.

Option 1, besides enabling libre.js, can also bring numerous existing
cross-browser extensions to Emacs, if we finally support a large enough
portion of the Web Extension API. However those extensions are
all written in JS and JS is worse than Elisp.

Option 2 might require as much work as option 1, but without the additional
benefit (or drawback?) of bringing other JS extensions.

What do you think?

Best,
Qiantan