Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 00:46:22 -0400

  > > I am completely lost here.  What legal responsibility is involved?
  > >

  > This is an answer that developers cannot give you.  It's a question that
  > only a lawyer can answer.

I think we are failing to communicate.  You seem to have got an idea
that there is some legal responsibility involved.  Unless you consulted
a lawyer, you must have got some idea from published information.

I don't have time to peruse the various pages what Google has
published hoping to find the crucial passages.  I asked people to show
me the specific requirements that are crucial for this scenario.

You have showed me some passages of that text.  If you send me the
whole text that you got them out of, that would help me.

Maybe someone already sent me that text.  I am so behind on email that
I might have received a few days ago and not yet seen it.

I am trying to do many jobs at once.

  > Google's terms of service for OAuth services are available at
  > https://developers.google.com/terms .

I will fetch that page and see what I get.

  > take the risk of being sued by Google for having knowingly violated their
  > terms of service, even if Google tolerates (at the moment at least) that
  > free software projects violate these TOS.

A priori, I doubt there is any real risk, beyond the possibility
Google would invalidate the app key.  But that is a question I can
discuss with a lawyer if it comes up.

--
Dr Richard Stallman