Re: New obsolete.el file for obsolete stuff?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New obsolete.el file for obsolete stuff?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:55:59 -0400

> I think this is a nice idea to basically move some cruft out of the way,
> to where we don't need to see it.

This is the old problem of classification, and we know this is a problem
that doesn't have a perfect solution, so it's all a matter of weighing
the respective advantages and inconveniences.

I think it's easier to keep the obsolete aliases where they were, at the
cost of having to search for old such aliases when it is time to get rid
of them.

The actual obsolete aliases definitions are usually not the main problem
(i.e. having this "cruft" mixed in ("scattered") with the normal code
doesn't do much harm if any), the problem is usually in the consequences
of their existence, so moving them to a separate file would only help if
that file is usually not loaded.

        Stefan