Re: man integration with tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: man integration with tramp
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:24:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Eli,

> woman.el doesn't support some of the lately-introduced roff
> directives, so it cannot always typeset and render every man page one
> finds nowadays on modern platforms.  If you want to use woman.el to do
> this job, it will need to be enhanced first, I think.

Yes, I've seen this in the Commentary section of woman.el. Especially,
the lack of the eqn(1) and tbl(1) preprocessor support is mentioned.

I have no idea how serious this limitation in practice is. But this is
an existing limitation; extending woman.el to support remote man pages
doesn't change it for better or worse.

I'm trying to use woman.el as basis for support of remote man pages,
because a short review of man.el gave me the impression that it takes
more than just replacing `call-process' by `process-file' at one place.

Best regards, Michael.