Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 13:27:11 +0300

On 13.07.2020 10:58, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
Even the term "API", "application programming interface" conveys
the culture on the one side: here be the system programmers (better
paid, presumably), there be the application programmers. If one of
the latter*dares*  to touch system things, (s)he's fired [1].

This is is pretty dated view: the "system things" are rarely in the picture. But they are as fine to touch as any, as long as that fits the abstraction you are defining.

The difference between system programmers and application programmers, I think, is the latter have found that abstractions are a good thing for a lot of domains, and have come up with certain rules for using them.

I can certainly understand how a system programmer might dislike having to deal with extra abstractions, but, again, certain jobs simply call for using them.