Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 10:13:46 +0200

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 09:56:14AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[...]

> > Or at least that the possible options will require the client to treat
> > the values as "opaque" exactly the same way.
>
> Basically, you are saying that in your opinion this is as it should
> be, and cannot be helped.

I already weighted in, but in case that wasn't clear: while I think
that "layering" and "abstraction" is a useful structuring technique
when building up complex systems, the interfaces themselves have to
be subject to negotiation, as everything else.

This conflict is bound to happen time and again, because we software
folks tend to believe in (pick any) The True OO Way (TM), The True
Functional Way (also TM) or whatever.

At the end, it's the whole project what counts, and that's why a
calm and patient project leader is important. I think you're doing
a pretty awesome job, Eli.

And Dmitry -- as much respect as I have for your technical skills,
I think you're pushing it a bit too hard.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm known for having been wrong.

In any case, please, both of you: don't take all of that personally.

Cheers
-- t