Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 03:48:52 +0300

On 11.07.2020 15:35, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Take a random modern editor, open an existing project in it (it will
show up in the side panel, usually). Then create a new file in its root
directory using some external means. If it's not ignored by existing
configuration, it will automatically show in the project drawer as well.

We should support that.

As long as it makes sense, yes.  But when it starts requiring us to
jump through hoops, we don't need to be afraid of doing things
differently.

It's a quality of life feature. Of course, we could forgo it, or ask the users to jump through hoops themselves on occasion.

Anyway, sounds like there are no better "universal" options at hand than filenotify. I'll try to whip up a prototype with it one of these days.

Like I said, you're welcome to suggest a better phrasing, for this and
the other command (as long as the descriptions remain accurate). Go
ahead and commit the new versions, if you like.

Done.

Thank you.

I've scaled back the explicitness a little: we don't need people to rely on (or try to replicate) the exact format of what project-try-vc returns. We have enough trouble with user-defined functions returning (cons 'transient some-root-dir) already.