Re: Bug in url-retrieve-synchronously from url.el on redirect

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Bug in url-retrieve-synchronously from url.el on redirect
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 03:25:20 +0700

On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 at 02:43, Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> wrote:

> As far as I understand the RFCs (and being wrong before, I may be wrong
> again) do not allow for < > quoting either. Why does url-http.el strip
> them? Why does it break the URI at the first space if spaces are not
> allowed?

I cannot answer that, maybe someone who is knowledgeable about
uri-http.el chimes in.

RFC 7231 allows clients to attempt to DTRT with invalid Location URIs
in any way they deem appropriate; you could argue for a different
recovery heuristic. Me, I’d rather have things break loudly on each
violation, so that it does not go unnoticed for too long. Postel’s
Razor is how we got HTML in its current shape.