Re: Byte-compilation warning in eldoc.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Byte-compilation warning in eldoc.el
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:41:47 -0400

> Thanks, fixed.  But curiously it doesn't.  You can call it (and I always
> do call it) with one argument, as one does in CL.

Technically, you can call it with one argument.
But in 99% of the cases it's a really bad idea.

> By the way, the only reason I had to do this (I rarely use this outside
> interactive contexts)

Exactly: it might make sense occasionally while debugging, but is
usually an error in code.
[ Using it with a second argument is quite different, because then it
  usually corresponds to a simple `remhash`.  ]

>     When defining the obsolete variable alias for old
>     eldoc-documentation-function (which now points to the newer
>     eldoc-documentation-strategy),

Which reminds me: I think it'd be better not to make it an alias.

> Separately, I also noticed that calling `package-install` for Eldoc in
> Emacs 26.3, will _not_ load eldoc, and neither will `require`.

Not sure what you mean with the "_not_ load" part, but as for `require`,
it's normal because it's preloaded.

        Stefan