Re: buffer-face-set changes the fringe, is it a bug?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: buffer-face-set changes the fringe, is it a bug?
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 18:25:33 +0200 (CEST)

In fact the manual is not as clear as you think, it states (see
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Fringe-Bitmaps.html ):

(fringe bitmap [face])

The optional face names a face whose foreground color is used to display the bitmap; this face is automatically merged with the fringe face.

For me this means that the fringe face is used to display the bitmaps in the fringe, except the :foreground property which can optionally be imported from another face.

Thanks, I clarified the meaning of FACE in that case.

Okay, the meaning is clear now. But, IMO, it would be better to change this behavior as follows:

"The optional @var{face} names a face whose foreground and background colors are to be used to display the bitmap; this face is automatically merged with the @code{fringe} face. If @var{face} is omitted, that means to use the *@code{fringe}* face."

I at least would expect that the default behavior when displaying something in the fringe would be to use the fringe face. It is then still possible to use the 'default' face if one wishes to do so (but why would one wish to do this?). Apparently this change is possible without modifying any of the files in the "lisp" directory.

Gregory