Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 16:16:13 +0300

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 14:09:18 +0100
>
> > Yes, you need to include it like you do with libxpm.
>
> Hmmm. This perhaps rather stretches the definition of "no-deps". At the
> moment, I include libXpm because historically it was always distributed
> with the built emacs (although emacs will run without it).
>
> The problem is that the libXpm.dll I use is very carefully selected. It
> isn't actually from msys and I always use the same one (on the basis
> that libXpm is never, ever going to be updated), because I had
> significant problems with some versions of libXpm from Msys having
> dependencies (libwinpthread, I think).
>
> So, I think that there is a decision point here. I could make the
> "no-deps" download what it says it is, and have no deps (including
> libXpm). As the version with deps is now the default suggested option
> this might more sense. Otherwise I risk the no-deps version getting more
> dependencies in an unpredictable manner.

I'm not sure I see the significance of adding one more library to the
no-deps distribution.  If you are afraid of dependencies of libgmp,
then I don't think its MSYS2 version has any, does it?  If the
dependencies of libgmp is not the issue, then what is?

In any case, if you build Emacs with libgmp, you _must_ accompany the
binary with the DLL you used at build time, because, unlike libxpm,
libgmp is a static dependency of Emacs, and Emacs will refuse to start
if it isn't present.  If that's not what you want, you only
alternatives are:

  . link against libgmp statically, or
  . build Emacs without libgmp, using src/minigmp.c instead