Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 18:09:00 +0100

> I downloaded emacs-28.0.50-snapshot-2020-06-26-x86_64-no-deps.zip from
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-28/, thinking it
> would be usable with the usual image-handling dlls I've had for years.
>
> Nope.  Missing libgmp-10.dll.
>
> Is it normal that now the choices are either (1) get the complete,
> additional 50M snapshot or (2) have to install dlls such as this
> separately?  It used to be possible to just have separate support for
> PNG, JPG, etc.

I just updated the dependencies for Emacs-27 and -28 to include jansson
which has been missed off, so this may have changed things.

It should have giflib, libjpeg, libpng included. If that doesn't work,
then it's broken. But I don't know what you mean "usuable with the usual
image-handling dlls I've had for years". Do you mean, you are using DLLs
that are already on your machine?

Eli, I don't include libgmp at the moment. Is this new for Emacs-27
also? If so, I need to update that also.

> Also, the README-windows-binaries in the same directory says this:
>
>  In addition, we provide the following files which will
>  not be useful for most end-users.
>
>  emacs-$VERSION-x86_64-deps.zip
>
>  The dependencies. Unzipping this file on top of
>  emacs-$VERSION-x86_64-no-deps.zip should result in the same install as
>  emacs-$VERSION-x86_64.zip.
>
> I see no such *-deps.zip file.  So I guess I need to download the full sack
> now.

The deps file didn't upload. Not uncommon, the GNU upload process is
horrible. They should be there soon, hopefully.

The installer version including all the dependencies is the smallest
package.

> The README-* file also has hard-coded "emacs-27" in place of emacs-$VERSION
> in two places.

The fix for this is also uploading.

Phil