Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 01:02:35 +0300

On 30.06.2020 01:35, Juri Linkov wrote:
I have a similar work pattern. My solution to remembering project info
is implemented in the 'wisi' GNU ELPA package; there is one active
project; (project-current) returns that project, unless a buffer has
overridden project-find-functions locally, which I do for elisp mode.
There is a menu of known projects the user can choose from. In
addition, running 'compile' in a Makefile sets the project to the one
relevant to that makefile.

This description reminds how next-error works in a similar way.
By default, it uses the global value of the last navigation -
in project.el it could use default-directory by default.
But like a buffer can override next-error navigation,

Like a user customization can, you mean?

I would be very surprised to see a buffer-local value of next-error-found-function.

project.el should allow a buffer to set a buffer-local value
to define its project like your project-find-functions.

That would mean to have a buffer-local value of project-find-functions. Which is possible, but I would struggle to consider it to be a good idea. Unless the value is technically buffer-local, but in essence just applied by a globalized major mode.

It might still be better to create a straight global major mode in that case, though.