Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 17:03:34 -0700

On 6/30/20 3:31 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 01.07.2020 01:17, Paul Eggert wrote:

> What will those of us do who find the current way the manual is written
> suboptimal? And who generally don't read it anyway.

Well, we could drop the manual entirely :-). But until we do, we should
maintain it.

> Likewise, you yourself didn't accept my version of another change that we
> discussed most recently.

Sure, but that's not normally the issue here, as that sort of disagreement
happens with code as well as with documentation. In other words, the issue is
rarely about areas where multiple people might work on documentation and
disagree about what should go into it; it's more commonly about areas where
nobody updated the documentation even though it obviously became out of date.

> this can be an extra
> barrier for entry (make sure to get the commit message right, and NEWS, *and*
> the manual)

Yes, that's a price we'd have to pay. I hope it wouldn't be much of a problem in
practice.