Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 15:42:00 +0300

> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>,  philip@warpmail.net,
>   theo@thornhill.no,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:30:57 +0100
>
> > Doing this means we need some indicator other than default-directory.
> > A buffer-local variable, perhaps, or membership in some data
> > structure, like a list of buffers associated with a project.  Or
> > anything else, really, that can support better, more accurate
> > decisions.  There are many alternatives; my point is that basing this
> > on default-directory is not the best strategy.
>
> What if grep, xref, etc. "singleton" buffers get created per project,
> either automatically by detecting that they are called from within a
> project, or by providing project.el wrappers for their respective
> commands?

That is something I suggested a few messages back, actually.

> Then they could be switched to based on default-directory alone,
> right?  Would that fly at all?

Why would we need the default-directory in this case?  If these
buffers are created to be project-specific, it would mean that they
are somehow different from one another, right?  We could then use
these differences directly to tell which ones are related to a
project.  For example, the names of these buffers could include the
project ID, or some buffer-local variable could do that.

Once again, default-directory is too random to be a strong evidence in
this case.  It will cause too many false positives and false
negatives.