Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 14:57:07 +0300

On 20.06.2020 14:46, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
A few messages back, Eli said:

                                                        If we really
want to record in these buffers what project they are related to, we
need to have stronger evidence, like what was the current-buffer when
the command was invoked, or maybe something else (like name the
buffers in some special way).
Where "these buffers" refers, IIUC, to "stuff like*XREF*, Eshell,
Occur,*Compilation*,*Grep*, etc.".

Would it make sense for these special modes to have a buffer-local
variable pointing to the buffer where the command was invoked?
project.el could then consult that variable first, then fallback to
default-directory?

Perhaps. I don't know if that would be enough for Eli's purposes, however.

After all, in the Grep example, it could have been invoked from one of the buffers belonging to the current project, or just as well from an "outside" buffer (because, for example, that made it easier to select the intended directory).