Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 09:29:45 +0000

>> Could something like this be viable?
>
> I proposed to find a different way of telling which buffer is related
> to a project, other than by looking at its default-directory.

My proposal here isn't using default-directory.  It would then check
(buffer-file-name (cdr buffer)) in project-root.  As such it would
exclude other 'junk' buffers.  After, the persisted other buffers are
included as well.

> We could design a way of doing that which would then support adding
> buffers to a project quite easily.  But Dmitry doesn't think we should
> go that way.

Maybe we should reconsider the API then?  It seems to me like you don't
want this generic interface, and rather would like a more general notion
of what a project is.  You want to have a more granular approach,
something akin to bookmark.el.  Am I reading you correctly here?

> More to the point, my question is how would adding a buffer to the
> project be recorded and where, under your proposal?

We already are persisting a project list under "user-emacs-directory" in
a readable lisp format.  I guess this could be extended to include the
added buffers?  Not sure how unwieldy this can get, though.