Re: Support for multiple batteries

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Support for multiple batteries
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 17:08:05 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Has proper support for multiple batteries in battery.el
> been reimplemented yet?  I use that case, and I wrote the
> old code to handle it.

What exactly do you mean by "proper" support?

AFAICT only two battery status backends currently support multiple
sources of information: battery-linux-sysfs and battery-linux-proc-acpi,
for Linux sysfs and ACPI support, respectively.

The way they handle multiple batteries is by merging multiple data into
a single report.  Is this what you mean by "proper" support, or do you
envision some other way to report on multiple batteries?

My patch in https://debbugs.gnu.org/39491#55 also adds support for
multiple power sources to battery-upower, for UPower support.

It is possible that the other backends also support multiple batteries
if the single source they query is already summarising data from
multiple batteries, but I'm not familiar enough with APM, pmset, or MS
Windows to say.

--
Basil