Re: feature/native-comp, comp-deferred-compilation: no recompilation whe

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: feature/native-comp, comp-deferred-compilation: no recompilation when .elc newer than .eln?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 22:29:22 +0200

Hi Andrea,
* Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> [2020-06-09; 08:17]:
> * Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> [2020-06-06; 21:51]:
>> This issue should be fixed by Nico's patch e38678b268 "Reduce the number
>> of files probed when finding a lisp file."
>>
>> Hope works for you, in case does not please complain :)
>
> I will test in the next days.

it worked, but only after the 3rd invokation of emacs:

1. I recompiled emacs, checked out an old version of org
   mode with a certain bug, compiled that, used it with the
   new emacs, this produced an org.eln file with the
   specific bug.  Which I experienced while using org-mode.

2. I killed emacs, checked out newest org-mode, compiled it,
   started emacs, used org-mode, org.el was not shown in the
   async compile buffer, and the bug was still present and
   the eln file was older than the el an elc files.

3. I killed emacs, started it again, used an org-file, now
   org.el showed up in the async compile buffer, but the eln
   file was as old as before and the bug was present.

4. I killed emacs.  Had a look again for the org.el[cn]?
   files: now the eln file was newest, I used org-mode and
   the bug was gone.

I understand, that a new elc file is used in emacs, the
compilation to eln happens async and when finished the eln
file is not loaded over the elc file.  Therefore I have to
restart emacs in order to actually use the eln file.

I do not understand why my org-usage in step 2 didn't
trigger the compilation of the eln file.

Reloading the eln file instead of the already loaded elc in
3 would be cool, but not that important, since the elc file
is feature-wise equivalent with the eln fiie.

Ciao; Gregor
--