vertical fido-mode

From: Ergus
Subject: vertical fido-mode
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 16:27:18 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Joao.

The last 2 days I have been wondering if it will be too complex (or potentially error prone) to customize fido to show the candidates vertically (like in ivy).

In ido mode it was more or less easy to do just changing the separator, but that created so many issues that multiple packages were created to "fix" them. I could be interested in this feature ONLY if it doesn't add too much complexity to fido-mode.

Just now I tried:

(fido-mode t)

(setq icomplete-separator "\n"
         icomplete-hide-common-prefix nil
         icomplete-in-buffer t)

So far it seems to be working with some expected tiny issues no so complex to fix:

1) An extra '{' and missing new line (see picture) that overlaps the cursor and in vertical mode is confusing. (There is not separator between the cursor and the list of candidates)

3) Maybe TAB should complete the current candidate in place (the first candidate or the common part of all candidates), in any case not open the *Completions* buffer? Because the completion candidates are already there (this is in general for fido mode), it will be more familiar for Bash users for example.

Best,
Ergus