Re: pop-to-buffer / switch-to-buffer-other-window

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: pop-to-buffer / switch-to-buffer-other-window
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 20:20:56 +0900

> On Jun 7, 2020, at 18:57, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> On June 7, 2020 9:55:12 AM GMT+03:00, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 7, 2020, at 15:18, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please see "Splitting Windows" in the ELisp manual, it describes how
>> Emacs decides whether to split vertically or horizontally.
>>
>> Do you mean this:
>>
>> split-window &optional window size *side* pixelwise
>>
>> It just says that the side argument affects the function, not what in
>> pop-to-buffer causes that argument to be set. And I don't find any
>> reference to splitting in pop-to-buffer for that matter.
>
> Thrn I guess you should read "Choosing Window Options".  My point is that
> this is described in the manual.

Interesting. There is this 'split-window-sensibly function that tries to adapt
to the display.

But the impression I get from reading the manuals is that there is a general
preference for vertical splitting.

The issue with is that with rectangular displays and considering that most
documents have a given reasonable width, choosing to split the main window
vertically is rarely the best solution in terms of screen space use.

I'll try to be more careful and see in which case I see unpleasant behavior and
see if I can do this about it.

Thank you.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune