Re: pop-to-buffer / switch-to-buffer-other-window

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: pop-to-buffer / switch-to-buffer-other-window
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 15:55:12 +0900

> On Jun 7, 2020, at 15:18, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> On June 7, 2020 5:55:52 AM GMT+03:00, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>> When I have just one window open, switch-to-buffer-other-window
>> sometimes splits vertically and sometimes horizontally to display the
>> other window.
>>
>> In the documentation, there are plenty of references to "some window"
>> but little if anything about how that window is chosen/created.
>>
>> What is the rationale behind this lack of consistency ? Or is there
>> some consistency, for ex based on the mode ?
>
> Please see "Splitting Windows" in the ELisp manual, it describes how Emacs
> decides whether to split vertically or horizontally.

Do you mean this:

split-window &optional window size *side* pixelwise

It just says that the side argument affects the function, not what in
pop-to-buffer causes that argument to be set. And I don't find any reference to
splitting in pop-to-buffer for that matter.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com