Re: master f51f963: Fix some side-effecting uses of make-text-button

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master f51f963: Fix some side-effecting uses of make-text-button
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 13:57:42 -0400

> But going backwards, toward some perhaps unneeded
> optimization, in the direction of systematically
> raising an error when trying to modify text
> properties of a string, is not a good idea, IMO.

I think there needs to be a clarification here: the issue is about
modifying data (here specifically strings, but the issue applies to all
other such data) that appears as literal in the code.

This issue is not one of optimization (preventing those modifications
would likely impose a slowdown, if anything) but one of detecting usage
that is usually a bug (one that leads to people being utterly
confused by the resulting behavior).

        Stefan