Re: ELPA git repo contains zero-padded file modes and running ~$ make fa

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: ELPA git repo contains zero-padded file modes and running ~$ make fails
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 17:41:48 +0200

Hi Stefan and Eric,

>>> I have this error when git-pulling the elpa repository:

>>>   remote: Counting objects: 64150, done.
>>>   remote: Compressing objects: 100% (22564/22564), done.
>>>   error: object 2699d230e3b592ae42506d7b5c969a7ac6a4593c:
>>> zeroPaddedFilemode: contains zero-padded file modes
>>>   fatal: erreur de fsck dans l'objet empaqueté
>>>   fatal: échec de index-pack
>>
>> Known problem: just disable fsck for the initial fetch.

Thanks.  Is there any way to fix it?

The problem is not mentioned in those links:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsFromGit#toc2
https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs

I would not be surprised if people cannot find the solution.
Or maybe not that many people git clone elpa after all.

> I'm hoping this was just a knock-on error from the first error.

I tried again to clone with fsck completely disabled then running
make still raises the same error:

In toplevel form:
packages/ebdb-gnorb/ebdb-gnorb.el:30:1: Error: Cannot open load file: Aucun
fichier ou dossier de ce type, ebdb-format
make: *** [GNUmakefile:173: packages/ebdb-gnorb/ebdb-gnorb.elc] Error

Isn't it the case on your side?

> If you pull the elpa repository cleanly and still get this error,
> please let me know. TBH this package probably doesn't need to exist,
> it's a holdover from back when I didn't know how to do
> between-package packages.

Maybe it can simply be removed, then?

Thanks,

--