Re: path, cwd in NS port

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: path, cwd in NS port
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 21:03:42 -0400

On Thu, 28 May 2020 21:46:48 +0100 Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
> Does it definitely work in Emacs 26? I've had this
>
>       ((string-equal system-type "darwin")
>        (setq default-directory (concat (getenv "HOME") "/"))

Yes; I've confirmed it works in Emacs 26 but not 27.

> > One option that occurred to me was that it would be pretty easy to
> > invoke an "echo $PATH" shell command in my .emacs and parse it
> > into the exec-path, though I'd prefer only to do this if Emacs
> > was invoked a certain way (from the dock, spotlight, etc.) where
> > the PATH is known not to be set.
>
> A cheap and nasty method would be to look for environment variables
> normally set by the shell.

That's possible, though I think the cleanest solution would be for
Emacs to set something itself using Info.plist

> Why not use exec-path-from-shell?

exec-path-from-shell seems to be a third party package that I did not
previously know existed.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry@piermont.com