Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 22:34:20 -0700

Hello,

Hope this is not too off-topic.

On Wed 27 May 2020 at 10:36PM -04, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> outside of using elpa. For instance, I know that there are people who
>> package Emms for Debian and other OS' using their own package
>> managers. I don't want to rock their boat if possible.
>
> Those people can package ELPA packages their eyes closed (try `apt
> search elpa-` to see why I think so). They will likely stop using their
> ad-hoc packaging once it's available via GNU ELPA and will use their
> generic support for packaging ELPA packages instead.

Just fyi, the elpa-* machinery is independent of whether the package is
available in an ELPA archive, as we can generate the required metadata
mostly automatically.  But if upstream does provide the files, then it
tends to work a bit better.

The reason the emms package in Debian doesn't use that machinery yet is
simply that it hasn't been switched over to use it by its package
maintainer.

--
Sean Whitton