Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 05:41:06 +1000

On Thu, 28 May 2020 at 01:45, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 15:39:49 +1000
> Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>, Emacs developers <Emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I have been back through the archives back to mid April and cannot find anything that looks like a proposal.
> There are numerous threads discussing why we have elpa, what conventions/rules should be enforced,
> rationale for having elpa, etc, but nothing which comes to  any conclusion or anything close to a proposal or
> call for decisions or any other actions, like feedback or further suggestions. Either it has a non-obvious
> subject or is much further back in time.

The proposal was to split ELPA into two, either insided the single
archive or make the second part be hosted on a different server.

OK, so it was really focusing on the lower level technical implementation rather than clarifying what the purpose of GNU ELPA is, relationship with GNU Emacs and what should be in either or both? It is probably too early to consider such matters, especially when things like a non-copyrights repository are being considered.
--
regards,

Tim

--